Monday, March 21, 2011

Anniversary

Jim and I just celebrated our 19th anniversary.  19 years on the 19th!  What a ride it has been and continues to be.  I honor my decision to ask Jim to marry me all those years ago because it was one of the most genius moves I have ever made.  Jim harassed me (yes.  harassed.) to marry him.  After asking me with a ring, asking me over the phone, asking me in a card, asking me every single day to marry him he finally gave up.  He asked so many times his heart couldn't handle it anymore.   So he told me that when I knew what I was going to do then I would have to ask him. 
Have you ever had your head struck with what seems like a cast iron frying pan?  That's how it was for me.  So obvious was it that I asked immediately and he was stunned.  We married two months and a few days later.  So many were heartbroken at this decision.  But that was yesterday and today is today so no more of those memories.  For it was genius. 
Jim would go to the ends of the earth for me.  If I said I desperately needed a new car he would break his back to get it for me.  If I said I wanted some ice cream, some dinner, some money, some act of cleaning, some repair he will do it completely.  With no hesitation and no complaint.  He is willing.  And yet if I ask him to not wear something that expresses himself or grow his hair back or not be honest he will never comply.  He honors himself implicitly and I love that about him.  Even when others crumble under pressure from everywhere, Jim will only act when he is inspired to or when his heart allows.  He will never be someone else for you.  He loves and honors himself way too much for that.
He honors me as well.  He expects nothing less than for me to honor myself above him.  Just when I thought I had this relationship thing figured out he challenges it and expects me to honor me above him.  Then and only then can I be the authentic woman I am to be with him.
I have chosen wisely.  Those days when you see me annoyed with him it is usually because he is asking and expecting me to be my best and what I know I am to be and I don't want to.  Or because I want him to be something else besides who he truly is and he will not comply.  Sometimes he simply screws up.  Big deal.  So do I.
Happy Anniversary Baby.  It has been a journey.  Can't wait to see what is next.  I love you. 

1 comment: