Friday, March 18, 2011

Amiah did it again.

The other day I was inspired to show Ammon and Amiah all the places in Twin Falls that I have lived.  I was suprised at how many places I have had my dwelling.  One of the magical places I have lived was out in the country 6 miles from town in a rented farm house.  There were barns, outbuildings, horses, sometimes pigs, chickens, dogs, cats, and an enormous garden. 
As we headed out to the farm the kids were fascinated that we had lived so far out.  "What about the mall?  What about the grocery store or the movies or going to a friend's house?"  After so many questions I realized it is unique to my own grandchildren how I was raised.  They find it fascinating and a little scary. 
As we crossed the second canal (which was a landmark for me as a child) I showed them the remains of the house where the landowners lived.  Now it just a pile of old stone and dirt.  I pointed out the place and told them "This is where the owners lived and we lived in the farm house way down there."  As I pointed I looked at this grand big house and almost held my breath.  There are no more outbuildings or barns.  Only this big house standing alone.  This house was a place where I learned so many things about myself.  It was a magic house to me.
So we headed down to the house and slowed down as we passed.  I noted the very large wrap around porch and showed them the window to my room.  I told them quickly.  They weren't getting it and I tend to shy away from sharing magical memories with ones who are limited to share it.  Not that it matters in the spiritual nature of me, but I just tend to keep those things close to me and those that really get it.  And they were not getting it.  I think they were literally terrified at this final showing of places where I had laid my head and they were quite frankly sad for me!  Ha!  In their limited experiences this just simply looked horrid to them.
But the final question broke my melancholy visitation and took me to gut rolls.
Amiah looking quite confused asked again "So those people owned this house and lived down there?  Why did they let you live here?"  I explained how rentals worked and if someone owns more than one house they usually rent it out and use that money for extra income.  I explained this in short order.  Still confused she asked,
"Why wouldn't they live here instead of down the road in that pile of rocks?"

No comments:

Post a Comment