Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Friends...

I have been so blessed. I need more words in my vocabulary. Words that mean unconditional, treasures, fun, awesome, talented, honest, trusting, vulnerable. When I think of my friends (which include my family!) I see these faces and I look up to the heavens and I say "Thank You." I need more words for that too. Gratitude, acknowledge, cherish, sincere. And then I smile. I smile because when they look at me they smile too. They have that knowing that we agreed to love each other and for the most part, it's so simple, easy. Sometimes looking into the face of a friend I remember home. I remember the feeling of relief and comfort. I remember that I can let go and just be. I feel this way whether we are related by birth or familiarity. My family are the perfect representation of knowing and yet loving, no matter what. True friends.

The other day my dear friend Renae came to town. She comes once a year and she reserves a day for me. For me! Usually it's lunch. So we went to a restaurant and before being seated we made certain with the server that she knew we were going to be a long time there. A loooong time. She tucked us away and gave us the space and time to refresh ourselves together. I love the kind of friend (and they are few and far between but I have been blessed with many) that even though we have been seperated for a long time or distance we take up where we left off like it was yesterday. After the food and drink and non-stop sharing with laughter and tears we knew it was time to go. When I stood my legs didn't want to work. I looked at my watch and literally laughed out loud when the time showed that we had been in that booth for SIX HOURS. SIX! And still we talked in the car all the way to her family's home. Yes! Thank you, Renae, for being that constant sweet friend.

And now today is my birthday. I look at the faces of my friends and family in my minds eye and I know my gifts. They surround me like a blanket of comfort never allowing me to be without their company.

Do you know how much I love you? When you read this, you will know who you are. And yes, I mean you. There is no blanket statement here. I think of you and realize that I get to say thank you to you. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for honoring me by being in my life. Thank you for being the witness of unconditional love to me.

2 comments:

  1. You are so sweet. I'm I one of those friends? Hope so! Kenzi said how nice it is for us to connect again. Happy B-Day! Hope your day was fun. Chat with you soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You KNOW you are. Absolutely. 100 percent. It is so fun to be connecting...I agree! I am so glad you inspired me! This is so much fun! Love you.

    ReplyDelete